For the past few weeks in my Communication Design 3 class, I have been working on creating logos for the environmental department on campus. The client was Kimberly Tucker, she wanted my class to create a logo for the department, reduce your hoofprint logo and a Do it in the Dark logo. The whole point of the project is to understand what sustainability is and what it means to be sustainable. The goal of creating the logos is to encourage students at Stevenson to recycle and to reduce their hoofprint!
Logo#1: Department Sustain Logo
The first logo was the logo for the department. During the first day of researching this project, I created mind maps relating to sustainability and I also went to school asking students what 3 words come to mind when they think of sustainability. My research showed that not a lot of students know what sustainability is or what it means. This is crucial because of the targeted audience, in this case, it is the students!
In my sketches, I focused on icons such as arrows, shields, and leaves. My sketches evolved through the process of creating the first logo. I created over 50 thumbnail sketches. Below are some of the sketches from my first round of sketching.
After creating all of these sketches, I narrowed down to 3 or 4 of the best logos. I chose a shield with a leaf inside, arrow designs and a plug design.
Above is a mood board I also created to see what other designers have made for environmental logos. A lot of logos involved the color green, leaves, and the recycle symbol.
I then started to begin creating the logos. I came up with the names, “SU Sustain,” “Stand for SU,” “SU Reuse,” “Conserv SU,” and “Save SU”.
After creating this round of logos, I decided I wanted to go further with the shield design. Back to the drawing board!I wanted to make the logo design more modern and slightly traditional for Stevenson. The modern design is the type of shield and the leaf in the design. I added the traditional aspect of the design by adding the mustang!
Below, on the right, is a collection of all the logos I created for the first logo. The second photo, on the left, is the point of the process where I almost had a finished design.
After creating the almost last round of designs for the final logo, I decided to focus on the icon and the color choices. Below is the final branding for the first logo!
Logo#2: Reduce Your Hoofprint logo
For the second logo, the department needed a logo for their reduce your hoofprint logo. The hoofprint logo is all about reducing your carbon footprint!
I started out with the hoofprint logo by creating a mood board.
I then started to begin sketching. At first, all I had were leaf designs but then I realized the reducing your carbon footprint is all about energy and reducing the amount of energy we use. Below are some of the sketches I originally came up with.
After realizing I needed more than just leaves in my design, I began experimenting with light bulbs, and plugs. I came up with a design that was half light bulb and half hoofprint. For the second one, I also sketched an infinity symbol and made it into a plug design to represent energy.
After sketching, I went to the computer to create the designs! Below is how I started to create the icon in my design.
Here are the final logos! I came up with the plug icon, leaf/hoofprint icon, and a light bulb icon. After doing this set of logos, I feel like I have really made progress since some of my first logos.
Logo#3: DO IT IN THE DARK!
For the third logo, the client needed a logo for the Do it in the Dark Challenge. The challenge is about reducing the amount of energy you use. For example, turning out the lights when not in use.
After reviewing my sketches from the other logos, I sketched a few logos to get me started on this design. I came up with the idea of a power button. I sketched until I came up with the idea of the power button being a pumpkin because the event is during October.
Here are some of the first designs for this logo.
Above is the final branding designs I came up with for the Do it in the Dark challenge.
At the end, I decided to tweak the Do it the Dark and the Reduce your hoofprint one more time. This picture shows the final logos with their typography. I changed the colors by making them brighter and I gave the text more contrast.
Final aspect of Project: Recycle Bin
It was determined that the apartments would get recycle bins with the hoofprint logo. However, only $9 could be spent on each bin. Below is what I came up with! For the logo, I decided to find vinyl stickers that could be placed on the bins! The overall price is $1046.55.
This is my whole process for the sustainability logos! I have learned so much about logos just in the past few weeks. Stay tuned for the next project!